Wednesday, August 12, 2020

My First Post in Antique Typewriter Collectors FB Group



    Antique Typewriter Collectors

    Hi all! Thanks for including me. I just entered the rabbit hole with my first vintage, a Montgomery Ward 511D.

    I learned to type in 9th grade on a big heavy manual. Wish I knew the brand/model because it'd be fun to collect one of those. My dad had a huge electric and us kids used a manual blue plastic one. It's now long gone, hence why I chose the color, but wisely in metal instead. 

    I knew it'd need a little work and fresh ribbon. I blew out the dust and wiped down the platen. The shift-lock key was cracked and popped off. Will super glue be ok?
The only problem is that the lower case letters ride above the line. Please tell me there's an adjustment screw to calibrate this?

    On another note, I also have a small collection of vintage sewing machines and a weaving loom that I've restored and they all work beautifully. I've got enough tools and wit to fix old typewriters, and looking forward to learning more about them. I love vintage stuff!










    The solution:  https://munk.org/typecast/2013/07/30/typewriter-repair-101-adjusting-vertical-typeface-alignment-segmentbasket-shift-typewriters/

    EDIT: I fixed it. Yay!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do tell what you like about typewriters.

Typewriter Blogroll